Re: Relabeling buckram bindings John Lucas 24 Jun 2005 20:10 UTC

Hello all:

Check with your bindery.   They should have some solvent that will
remove the lettering with a little rubbing (We use a q-tip)   That way,
you do not wear into the actual buckram.   It will also take away a
little of the color of the buckram but not much.

Then you could go ahead and use the correcting tape (not familiar with
that)

By the way Lucy, how is the weather up there?  I used to at MCO.  Is it
now called MUO??

==============
>>> LDuhon@UTNET.UTOLEDO.EDU 06/23/05 04:09PM >>>
Hi Donna,

A few years ago we wanted to tackle this problem as well, so we
ordered
an electric stylus and a roll of (white) "thermal" tape (or "transfer
foil"? I think it's called).  (We already had an electric eraser.)
(As
a bit of background, most of our journal volumes are bound in brown
buckram with white lettering.)

For spines that need to be corrected, we erase the incorrect
information
(taking care not to wear off too much of the buckram's color, but just
enough to remove the stamped foil lettering).  After erasing, we cut
off
a strip of "thermal tape" and place it (chalky side down) onto the
spine, then carefully hand-write in the correct information, pressing
firmly onto the tape.  (Note: I use bits of Scotch tape to hold the
strip of "thermal tape" in place while I write).  Also, it's important
to let the stylus heat up completely before attempting lettering
(otherwise you end up with a mess).  The hotter the stylus is, the
more
smoothly and quickly the writing transfers onto the spine.

- Lucy.

Lucy Duhon
Serials Librarian
Carlson Library/Serials Dept.