Re: subscription agent service fees question-online journal subscription Tian Zhang 28 Jun 2005 16:34 UTC

We use Ebsco since 2002. Their service is good. Instead of the service
fee, Ebsco also charge $10 per title if the publisher does not give them
commission for that title.

But I have a question: right now, we subscribe more and more e-journals,
and usually, I have to sign the license agreement with the publisher
directly. Also I have to activate the journal by IP address and then put
the URLs to our catalog records for our library users. As online
journal, our library do not need to make claims. And most of the time, I
subscribe the journals by packages with the publisher if it is
available. And I want to subscribe these titles directly through
publisher and withdraw them from any agent by spending service fees.
What are your opinions about it?

Tian Zhang
Serials Librarian
St. John's University Library

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Beth Burleigh
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 7:38 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

Our library uses Ebsco Subscription Services. I believe we pay 3-4%
service fee for our print subscriptions. We are totally statisfied with
the quality of their service. Emails are returned usually the day you
send them with a reply or answer to your question. Their customer
service department is wonderful. I have never had a problem with their
service since I started working in our library almost 7 years ago. They
handle serials, both print and electronic, standing orders, databases,
and some books.

http://www.ebsco.com/home/

Beth Burleigh

Beth Burleigh
Serials Assistant
Penn College Library
Dif#69
One College Ave.
Williamsport, PA  17701-5799
Phone: (570) 320-2400 ext. 7454
Fax: (570) 327-4503
e-mail bburleig@pct.edu

>>> CreechA@CWU.EDU 06/23/05 6:12 PM >>>
I am trying to determine what a reasonable service fee would be for my
library's title mix.  Can anyone help me out with this?

Anna

Anna L. Creech, MLS
Serials & Electronic Resources Librarian
Central Washington University
Serials Department - Library
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548