Re: subscription agent service fees question-online journal subscription Pennington, Buddy D. 29 Jun 2005 17:35 UTC

I just wanted to voice my agreement on two points here.

First, Liz is right in that the agents have a lot of connections that
faciliate e-journal access management and troubleshooting.  And they are
developing the tools to make that more apparent to us.  I don't
necessarily agree with the per title charge for packages (it seems like
some sort of discounted service charge could be negotiated for that),
but I do believe they can and are providing services that make our jobs
easier and we should pay them something for that.  As we all know
subscription agents are finding their profit margins slim down
tremendously as they lose business (both libraries ordering direct and
libraries cutting print titles due to serials inflation and/or declining
budgets).

I also agree on the final point.  We are likely to see higher service
charges (and this will be because the agents will have to raise them to
survive), if the steady stream of lost business continues.  We have all
seen this with journals that have small subscription bases.  If a bunch
of libraries cut the title, the "surviving" subscribers eat the price
increase.  Subscription agents need to convince libraries they can
manage their e-journals better than the library can on its own and this
is could be a hard sell down the road.  Something they can do is develop
ERM services.  They have the advantage of a deep understanding of
serials and publishers.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
UMKC - University Libraries
800 E. 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
816-235-1548
816-333-5584 (fax)
penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Connecting Learners to the World of Knowledge

www.umkc.edu/lib

Date:    Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:34:03 -0400
From:    Tian Zhang <ZHANGT@STJOHNS.EDU>
subscription

We use Ebsco since 2002. Their service is good. Instead of the service
fee, Ebsco also charge $10 per title if the publisher does not give them
commission for that title.

But I have a question: right now, we subscribe more and more e-journals,
and usually, I have to sign the license agreement with the publisher
directly. Also I have to activate the journal by IP address and then put
the URLs to our catalog records for our library users. As online
journal, our library do not need to make claims. And most of the time, I
subscribe the journals by packages with the publisher if it is
available. And I want to subscribe these titles directly through
publisher and withdraw them from any agent by spending service fees.
What are your opinions about it?

Tian Zhang
Serials Librarian
St. John's University Library