Re: THOMSON MICROMEDEX Barbara Pope 16 Jun 2005 14:09 UTC

Hi, Susan.  I don't use this product currently, but up until the middle
of April, I was working in a pharmacy college library.  Micromedex was
absolutely indispensible to our students.  It is a tertiary database
that gathers information from many different sources (like the PDR, USP
DI, and many others on pregnancy riskk, dosing, drug interactions, drug
identification, etc.) and puts it all in one database.  It has a drug
identification tool where you enter in color, identifying marks, and
shape of a tablet and it tells you what it is.  The drug interaction
tool allows you to input a series of drugs and/or health supplements a
patient takes and it gives you a report of possible interactions.  I do
remember that it was only available "free" in a cd-rom format that could
be installed on a network and used on any computer on campus.  This was
a bit frustrating for the student who wants to use it at home on their
home computer or their rotation site.  The other stipulation was that it
could only be used for education, not as a clinical tool by practicing
professionals.  I hope this helps.

Barbara