Re: to Voyager or not to Voyager (Caitlin Downing) Bob Persing 23 Jun 2005 12:02 UTC

Subject: RE: [SERIALST] to Voyager or not to Voyager (3 messages)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:44:07 -0700
From: "Downing Caitlin" <cdowning@santarosa.edu>
To: "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>

Dear Sunny:
I also agree that Voyager is much superior for check-in than any manual system.

I have an idea what you mean by cumbersome:
that for every check-in record you are required to enter a line-item P.O. in Acquisitions (which is unnecessary with some ILS systems).
And there is the issue of having to individually suppress older issues from the OPAC so that they do not fill up the OPAC screen.
And that the statement of holdings is not automatically updated after each checkin (as with some systems).

But once your orders are in place and you have become accustomed to the system's requirements, check-in is pretty much a breeze.  I especially like the ability to enter special issues with titles, and indexes. I also think that Voyager's adherence to Marc Format Holdings Data puts it at the head of the class.

Sincerely,

Caitlin Downing
Library - Periodicals
Santa Rosa Jr. College