Re: Question about holdings statements (Kim Garrett) Cecelia N. Boone 12 Jul 2005 18:33 UTC

As one of the previous responders said, yes, wouldn't consistent
definitions for these terms be wonderful?  As an agent for a regional union
list of serials, my office tries to maintain consistent usage in our
consortial union list, but it's always interesting to see the range of
carefully thought out understandings for common holdings terms.

We have used "Current year" to mean the current calendar year. "Current 12
months" crosses the calendar year break to go -- at this point -- back to
June or July '04.
There's also the question of a distinction between "Current" &
"Latest."  YEARS ago, I learned that Current was used in holdings of
publications that were issued annually or more frequently.  Latest was used
to refer to publications that came out less frequently than once a
year.  Is anyone familiar with that distinction?

Cecelia Boone, Asst. to the Dir. for MULS & Communication
MINITEX Library Information Network
c-boon@umn.edu
612-624-6353, 800-462-5348