Re: National Register's Who's Who Kay Johnson 21 Jul 2005 11:27 UTC

IMHO, most if not all of the Who's Who publications are marketing concepts
designed to encourage participants to buy a copy of the publication.  One
of the biggest is Who's Who Among American High School Students.  These
students are nominated by their schools, youth groups, etc. and must have
a B average.  Most people I've known who were nominated turned down the
"honor."  Many schools do not even submit names.  No, the Who's Who
publications are not illegal nor are they scams, but the honorees
represent a self-selected population that does not represent the true
"cream of the crop" among a particular group.

-- Kay

Kay Johnson
Serials Coordinator
University of Tennessee