Re: American printer Paula Coulthard 30 Aug 2005 12:48 UTC

We also receive American Printer.  In the issue for v. 122 no. 1, there is a note at the very bottom of the page in the publishing information, "Note: Beginning with this issue, the numbering system will be as follows: Vol. 122, Number 1; Vol. 122 Number 2 (Feb.); and so forth.  In 2006 we will increment the volume number to Vol. 123 and re-set the issue numbers back to Number 1."
So they tell WHAT they are going to do, but not WHY.  This is really a problem since the volume numbers repeat.  In our local system, I input a 515, "In Jan. 2005, volume numbering changed to v. 122 no. 1-  and each calendar year will constitute a separate volume."
I also changed the 362 to: Vol. 188, no. 4 (Jan. 1982)-v. 234, no. 3 (Dec. 2004); [new ser.] v. 122, no. 1 (Jan. 2005)-
I did not know how else to distinguish the volume numbers except with "new ser.".

What have others done?

Paula Coulthard
Library Associate, Cataloging Section
Rod Library, UNI
Cedar Falls, IA 50613

----- Original Message -----
From: Lynn Eaton
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.edu
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 3:35 PM
Subject: [SERIALST] American printer

Hello:

I know this is late to be asking about this, but I don't often wrestle
with periodical issues as they come in anymore.  Last week I was
teaching someone how to create new checkin records for the coming year's
subscriptions.  I got to American Printer and I saw on our check in
records that its volume number is 122.  From April 2004 to Sept. 2004
the vol. was 233.  From  Oct. 2004 to Dec. 2004 it was 234.  From Jan.
2005 til now it is 122!

I went to look at the actual issues and sure enough, that is correct.
I had thought our check in person had completely zoned.  I searched
issues from September through now to see if there was any explanation
given and couldn't find anything.

There's nothing noted in the OCLC record.  It just marches on.

Did anyone else notice this?  Or better, does anyone know why they did
this?  I suppose it doesn't matter since they've done it, but it is a
little weird!  Maybe I missed an announcement somewhere.

Thanks
Lynn

Lynn Eaton
Cataloger/Head of Technical Services & CLGS coordinator
Library
Springfield Technical Community College
One Armory Sq.
Springfield, MA  01102