Re: Questions regarding DOAJ Jian (Jan) Wang 23 Sep 2005 22:26 UTC

I wanted to thank those of you who took the time to respond to my
questions regarding changing access to some DOAJ titles.  Your input and
suggestions are very helpful, such as adding an advisory note to alert
users, relying on Serials Solution, or simply taking a conservative
approach not to catalog DOAJ titles, but providing users with links to
DOAJ.  Although we currently have no way of tracking the content of DOAJ
in the catalog effectively, it seems to me this quality control can be
done if all parties are involved such as DOAJ, PAMS (publication access
management services such as Serials Solutions), or publishers.

We use the Innovative ERM module as well as Serials Solutions in our
library. We have created brief bib records and generated holdings data
for DOAJ titles in batch mode via ERM.  Ideally (we are hoping), if DOAJ
can monitor and ensure that all journals included in their database are
open access through constant updates on their side (publishers could
help in this effort), and Serials Solutions can provide us with updated
list of DOAJ titles on a regular basis (or if SS has a way of tracking
changing access), then, at the local level, we can periodically reload
DOAJ titles via ERM each time we receive new data from SS, and delete
the old existing DOAJ records from our database globally.

Right now, we manually delete those problematic titles from both the
library catalog and the Web A-Z journal list as they are identified.

Thanks,
- Jian
Jian Wang,
Serials Catalog Libn & Serials/Docs Cataloging Coordinator
Portland State University Library
PO Box 1151, Portland, OR 97207-1151
p. 503.725.4574 | f. 503.725.5799