Re: Procedure for binding journals incomplete Ohler, Lila A. 27 Sep 2005 14:55 UTC

Barb,

If claiming has failed, we attempt to acquire the missing issues from a
back issue dealer, like USBE.  Because back issue dealers have different
stock at any given time, we request the issue four times.  While we wait
for the missing issue to arrive, the remaining issues we have received
are on the current periodical shelves.  Past this, if the issue is not
available, we bind incomplete.

Lila Ohler
Acquisitions Librarian
University of Oklahoma
Acquisitions/Serials Dept.
401 W. Brooks St.  LL211
Norman, OK  73019-0528
405-325-2141
lohler@ou.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Barbara Moore
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 9:56 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Procedure for binding journals incomplete

Hi All,

I am currently working on a procedure on how to handle incomplete
journals.  I would like to know how other libraries deal with incomplete
journals.  I would like to know if there are libraries that wait until
the missing issue arrives before binding.  I would also like to know if
libraries try to locate missing issues through duplicate exchange or
through back issue dealers such as USBE.  All in all, I would like to
know the steps libraries take before deciding to bind a journal
incomplete.  I would really appreciate any input on this matter.

Thanks,

Barb

Barbara A. Shipman
Acquisitions Department