Re: Allowable duplicates question Steven C Shadle 28 Sep 2005 16:29 UTC

Chris -- Before format integration, it was considered an allowable
duplicate to have both a serial record (Type:a BLvl:s) and non-print
record (Type:? BLvl:m) in OCLC for non-print serials.  I don't remember
the details, but I think it had to do with the fact that MARC tagging
didn't provide for BLvl:s to be used with anything other than Type:a but
CONSER wanted non-print serial records included in it's database (which
was dependent on BLvl:s to identify record for distribution).  So (as an
example) the cataloger had to choose between cataloging something as a
computer file or cataloging something as a serial.  CONSER catalogers
would always catalog as a serial, whereas catalogers at other institutions
might catalog as a serial or as a computer file.

With format integration, we got the 006 so that we can code for both
serial and computer file characteristics and can mix and match Type codes
and BLvl's.

Microform versions never had this problem as they were still considered
Type:a (same as print) so they were always cataloged as serials (at least
since I started cataloging).

In terms of your CD-ROM, locally you can do whatever you want to (note it
on your existing print version record or catalog separately) but if you
were going to catalog in OCLC, you would create a separate record for the
CD-ROM version.

Hope this helps.

Steve Shadle
Serials Access Librarian