FW: [SERIALST] What are other institutions doing w/JSTOR and print overlapping titles? Ian Woodward 22 Sep 2005 12:34 UTC

We maintain a policy of retaining the print inventory of publications
where photographic plates are an important aspect of the editorial
matter. In our case, that means a dozen or so titles in art,
architecture, archaeology, and classics.

The print inventory in our branch library (devoted to the sciences,
etc.) has been maintained on the shelf for an interim period, faux de
mieux.

Our main library is under construction and our collection has had to be
removed from the shelves, with the greater portion remaining accessible
but stored in an automated warehouse on the campus and the lesser
portion inaccessible and stored conventionally in sundry locations.  The
new building will have less open shelf space than the old, though it
will have the appended automated warehouse.  All of this made it
necessary that we bite the bullet on the disposition of the JSTOR print
inventory.

As of now, we are with the cooperation of other colleges building a
regional depository of print inventory.  The idea is that each college
contributes its unique inventory to the depository (housed in an
accessible off-site storage location) and the remainder of each
participant's collection then may be discarded. I am not sure how many
colleges are participating at this point.  One thing we did discover is
that our collection largely duplicated that of the most proximate
participant.  As they are not under acute pressure at this point, the
nascent depository will be relying on their contributions, for the most
part, though we did have some unique content. Ergo, the bulk of what we
had of humanities and social research material which antedates the
various moving walls has been discarded.

I. Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries