New ALPSP study on the effects of Open Access on scholarly publishing Sally Morris (ALPSP) 13 Oct 2005 08:35 UTC

Apologies for duplication, but I thought your members/readers of all these lists would be interested in the message below

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Tel:  +44 (0)1903 871 686
Fax:  +44 (0)1903 871 457
Email:  sally.morris@alpsp.org
----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Evans
To: alpsp-discuss@mailbase.ac.uk
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:32 PM
Subject: New ALPSP study on the effects of Open Access on scholarly publishing

I am pleased to let you know that the substantial research study into the quickly evolving landscape of Open Access publishing has been released by ALPSP today (Tuesday 11 October 2005). A free to download pdf of the full report is available on our website (www.alpsp.org) together with the Overview section (the first 32 pages of the report) and a press release. The priced printed version of the report (which is 128 pages long) can also be ordered online.

As you will know this new study 'The Facts About Open Access' was sponsored by ALPSP with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and HighWire Press, with additional data from the Association of American Medical Colleges. The research was conducted by the independent consultants Kaufman-Wills Group LLC.

It makes fascinating and instructive reading. As Sally says in her introduction: "Discussion of Open Access tends to be strong on rhetoric but short on facts. But now we have, for the first time, a substantial body of data about different forms of Open Access publishing, and a baseline of comparison with traditional subscription publishing."

Nick

Nick Evans

Member Services Manager

Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)

9 Stanbridge Road

Putney, London, SW15 1DX

Email: nick.evans@alpsp.org

Web: www.alpsp.org