Circulation of Periodicals (8 messages) SERIALST Moderator 20 Oct 2005 19:46 UTC

8 messages:

(1)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:19:51 -0400
From: "van Sickle, Jennifer" <Jennifer.Vansickle@trincoll.edu>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] Circulation of Periodicals

We have little demand for periodicals to circulate, since everyone here
goes to online whenever possible.  We do not circulate to students, and
we would oppose a change in this policy.  Faculty may designate students
such as TAs to borrow on their behalf, and we allow faculty to borrow
periodicals.  We have had problems with a few faculty who borrowed
journal issues and didn't return them despite repeated requests.  We had
to block their library privileges until the items were returned.

We recently decided not to circulate newspapers or Consumer Reports to
anyone.  We keep CR behind the reference desk; otherwise it walks out
the door.

-Jennifer

Jennifer van Sickle MLS
Serials Librarian/Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

Phone: 860-297-2250
Fax: 860-297-2251

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu

Date: 20 Oct 2005 09:24:27 -0400
From: Pamela Contakos <pamela.contakos@sit.edu>

We circulate periodicals only to faculty. They get a week check-out period with
no renewal. Most of the time this is not a problem as many of our print
journals are also available online. However, faculty have a habit of keeping
the journals for much longer than a week (they get 4 months with other items).
We have a couple of very specialized journals that are not available online and
students who are looking for them are often disappointed to find they are
checked out and more than likely overdue.

As more and more journals are available online for research purposes my
inclination is to make our ciruclation policy more broad and allow for things
that are online to circulate for a limited amount of time. However, the ones
that are not online are already causing problems and separating them out with
another circulation policy could cause a real headache.
I am interested in hearing if anyone else circulates periodicals widely and how
it has worked for them.

--
Pamela Contakos
Assistant Director

(3)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:13:23 -0500
From: Barbara Pope <bpope@pittstate.edu>

My problem with circulating periodicals is that periodicals are very difficult,
and sometimes expensive, to replace.  We have to depend on the Ebsco missing
issue bank, the publisher, or the nice folks on BACKSERV to help us out.  We do
not circulate periodicals to anyone except faculty for a short time (I think
it's about a week).  Very rarely, we might loan a journal to a student for a
couple of hours if he needs it to make a class presentation or if he needs to
scan a picture that is bigger than our scanner.  Sometimes, we loan them out
through interlibrary loan, but again, that is pretty rare.  It has become even
more rare since our library has access to about 20,000 journals online in
different sources like JSTOR, Gale databases, Ebscohost databases, Directory of
Open Access Journals, etc.  Even if a student doesn't have money for
photocopies, several of our databases allow the patron to download the article
or email it to himself so he can print it off later.

Barbara Pope, MALS
Reference/Periodicals Librarian
Axe Library
Pittsburg State University
Pittsburg KS  66762
(620) 235-4884
bpope@pittstate.edu

(4)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:31:31 -0400
From: "Edwards, Mary" <meedwards@aii.edu>

We circulate issues of our magazines once the latest issue comes in.  We
have a few problems with some not coming back, but not a huge one.  I
feel that it's better to circulate them than to have them taken.

It seems to work for us.

Mary Edwards
Librarian
Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
2900 31st Street
Santa Monica, CA  90405
310-314-6154
meedwards@edmc.edu

(5)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:30:09 -0400
rom: "Edwards, Mary" <meedwards@aii.edu>

Sarah,

We circulate all but the current issue for 28 days.  Seems to work well
for us, although we do have a few that don't come back.  Not too big an
issue (pardon the pun) for us, though.  Like I mentioned in another
post, it's better to circulate than to have them taken.

(6)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:26:50 -0700
From: "Carol Morse" <MorsCa@wwc.edu>

We let the periodicals (bound or not) circulate for 1 day, 3 days for grad
students. We do lose some, but some of the losses come from items never checked
out anyway. Use is still way down because of online resources like Ebsco. What
I have noticed is very little vandalism, and that makes it worth it, in my
opinion. We don't actually barcode everything, since it's expensive. We barcode
the titles we know are more likely to circulate. The Circulation workers are
trained to barcode at checkout for the others. That gets interesting. Sometimes
they attach the item record to a book bib or whatever, but the tech services
staff runs reports and usually finds these anomalies, so we can clean them up
without too much drama. Hope this helps.

Carol Morse

Carol Morse
Serials Librarian

Walla Walla College Library
Periodicals Dept.
104 S. College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324-1159

morsca@wwc.edu
509) 527-2684; fax 509) 527-2001

(7)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:38:15 -0500
From: "John Lucas" <jlucas@rowland.umsmed.edu>

Sarah:

As a Medical Library, our needs can be different than for a General Academic
Library.

Bound journals circulate for 3 days.

Unbound journal issues DO NOT CIRCULATE.  We security strip every issue, & still
come up with missing issues
It is a pain but it has reduced our incomplete volumes.

Incomplete volumes, due to missing, unclaimable, or non-received issues are kept
in Tech Services shelved by year then alphabetical.  It is indicated as such in
our online catalog.  Requests for issues are filled out by the patron, given to
Reference or Circulation, then sent up to us.  We copy and send down by the
next day.  However, mostly the requests come in during the day, Reference calls
up to us, we make sure we can find the volume, and Reference sends the person
up, to take the issue, copy and immediately return to us.

JOHN

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262
JLUCAS@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:10:10 -0400
From: Eduardo Gil <gile@mail.montclair.edu>

At Montclair State University Library we circulate our print periodicals as a
courtesy to our faculty and graduate assistants.  We allow 5 issues for 5 days.
 Very limited problems over the years.

   Eduardo Gil <gile@mail.montclair.edu>