Re: Some Questions on MARC Holdings Format Pennington, Buddy D. 25 Oct 2005 15:07 UTC

Hi Jeanne,

Below are my answers to your questions.  Note that there is MFHD and
then there is how your ILS system implements MFHD.  We use Innovative at
UMKC so I don't know the specifics on how Sirsi implements MFHD.

Regarding the limited retention holdings.  The MFHD 008 field (character
positions 12,13-15) allow you to encode retention information that can
then enable the ILS system to generate a public note (in theory).  If
your ILS system doesn't support this then I would put it in an 866
field.

The microfilm 1929-2000 is a different matter.  You can use an 866 or do
an 853/863 for just the years and use a public note to indicate
microfilm format.  I would just say that whatever you decide to do, be
consistent.

On to your second question, would you mind sending out an actual 853/863
example where you have older holdings and the currently received
holdings?  I would say simply combine them into a single 853/863 but I
would like to see what you actually have to make sure I'm not screwing
things up!

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
UMKC - University Libraries
800 E. 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
816-235-1548
816-333-5584 (fax)
penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Connecting Learners to the World of Knowledge

www.umkc.edu/lib