Re: less binding, more loose issues Matt Person 28 Oct 2005 16:02 UTC

Thanks for your reply, Sarah.

We bind less because of reduced budget, reduced physical space, and decisions about spending resources
on duplicated (online and in print) materials.  We are working out guidelines for "to bind or not to bind"
decisions.     ;-)

Matt

From:         Sarah Sanford <ssanford@GUSTAVUS.EDU>
Subject:      Re: less binding, more loose issues

We are using magazine boxes, three-ring binders (which I prefer for
thinner periodicals for accessibility), and are looking at special
archive boxes for extremely old, fragile periodicals. I also have a
question for Matt and others: why have you chosen to bind less. What is
your selection process for deciding which journals to bind/not bind, and
has anyone come across a binding system or product they swear by? Last
year, our Peg Binding machine broke and is not cost effective to
replace. We have since used a Therm-a-Bind leatherette machine, but my
feeling is that it is too permanent of a solution, in that if there were
a mistake in the binding process, we would have to first unglue the
issues (which destroys the actual issue binding) and reglue. It's messy
and I question its usefulness for preservation. Sarah Matt Person wrote:
 > Hello, > > Our library is now doing less binding. > > I was wondering
if anyone in a similar situation has settled upon any > creative
solutions to keeping together > unbound issues of a journal...besides
magazine boxes. > > Thanks for the info, > Matt Person > -- Sarah
Sanford Serials Manager Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library Gustavus
Adolphus College St. Peter, MN 56082 Phone: 507-933-7562 Fax: 507-933-6292

--

Matthew A. Person
Serials Librarian                        >)))'>