Re: World of Learning (4 messages) Rumph, Virginia 09 Nov 2005 15:27 UTC

We just received the 2006 edition.  I couldn't tell from the email
messages whether the decision is that this is a major or minor change.
I notice the ISSN hasn't changed.  Thanks for clarification.

Virginia A. Rumph
Serials Librarian
Irwin Library
Butler University
4600 Sunset Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46208

vrumph@butler.edu
(317) 940-6491 (phone)
(317) 940-8039 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Ann Ercelawn
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:12 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] World of Learning (4 messages)

4 messages:

1)

From: Michael.Borries@domino1.cuny.edu
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:45:03 -0500

Note carefully 21.2C2 b iii: "difference" is defined as including
"addition [or] deletion."  The question is, since Europa is now
only an imprint of the current publisher, not a corporate body
itself, is it still covered by the rule?  At this point, I would be
inclined to say yes, since are often treated as publishers in the
260 field, and in light of the rule at the end of the list in
21.2C2b: "In case of doubt, consider the change to be a
minor change."

Michael S. Borries
CUNY Central Cataloging
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY  10010
email: Michael.Borries@mail.cuny.edu
Phone: (646) 312-1687

2)

Date:    Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:57:37 -0800
From:    "Ed Jones" <ejones@nu.edu>

Presumably the word "Europa" was added to the title _because of_
the change in publisher, in order to make clear that this "World of
Learning" is the one formerly published by Europa Publications and
not some new and different one published by Routledge. Once the
identity of Routledge with "World of Learning" has been established
(from a marketing point of view) over the next several editions, it
wouldn't surprise me to see the word "Europa" dropped from the
title (especially because it suggests a geographical constraint
that doesn't apply). So I would be inclined to treat it as a minor
title change, even though it would be stretching the intent of
21.2C2 iii) ("same corporate body" in the rule certainly implies
that no change in the corporate body associated with the
publication has occurred between the period prior to its name being
added to the title and the period after, and in this case a change
most definitely has occurred, a change that triggered the addition
of "Europa" to the title.)

Ed Jones Bibliographic and Metadata Services Coordinator  National
University 9393 Lightwave Ave San Diego, CA 92123-1447

+1 858 541 7920
+1 858 541 7997 (fax)

3)

From: Linda Wirth <llw@gwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 06:42:08 -0500

Some more evidence that this is a title change can be found by
looking at previous instances when Europa was added to the title of
a book. "The Europa international foundation directory",
OCLC#60754163, is a new record created when Europa was added to the
title of "International foundation directory", OCLC#9176678. The
record for the new title, "The Europa international foundation
directory" has an LCCN 2005257142. So LC considered the addition of
Europa to a title to be a title change.
Linda Wirth

4)
Date:    Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:42:39 -0500
From:    "Konstantin Gurevich" <KGurevich@library.rochester.edu>

On top of that, the rule concludes with: "In case of doubt,
consider the change to be a minor change." The fact that there's a
record in OCLC doesn't mean much any more. In OCLC, one can find
records illustrating every current rule, every outdated rule, and
every possible rule violation. For serials, only CONSER records can
be considered reliable, and this one (the new one) is not
CONSER-authenticated. And since the letter of the rule is indeed
somewhat confusing, it could be useful to think about the rule's
spirit. This relatively new rule was designed to curb the
proliferation of serial records where the publication remains
essentially the same. In this case, the new publisher (Routledge)
has even put the name of the former publisher (Europa) in the
title, presumably to emphasize continuity. So I'm with Steve Shadle
on this one: it's a minor change.

Konstantin Gurevich Head, Serials Cataloging
Rush Rhees Library University of Rochester Rochester, NY 14627-0055
Phone (585) 275-9452
E-mail: kgurevich@library.rochester.edu