Re: ISSN question Katharina Klemperer 17 Nov 2005 16:08 UTC

I surely love the name "Medium-Neutral ISSN".  Will there also be a
"Small-Neutral ISSN", a "Large-Neutral ISSN", and an "Extra-Large-Neutral
ISSN"?  Or does the name have something to do with the ISSN's not caring
too much about supernatural powers?

:-)
Kathy

At 10:36 AM 11/17/2005, you wrote:
>Nancy and all--
>
>There are several reasons for the situations you mention.  To begin with,
>whether a serial is current or ceased, it can be assigned an ISSN.  The
>ISSN does not have to be printed on a serial to be a valid and current
>ISSN.  Yes, JSTOR is requesting ISSN for serials it is digitizing
>retrospectively.  JSTOR is producing reproductions for the purpose of
>providing libraries with surrogates for print journals.  These kinds of
>reproductions carry the ISSN of the original, as has long been the policy
>for microform reproductions.
>
>If the journal has never been issued in an online edition, that is, a
>parallel to the print election edition issued by (or under the auspices
>of) the original publisher, it would not be assigned a separate ISSN for
>the electronic edition, since, in fact, there never was a separately
>published electronic edition.
>
>There have been various discussions about the policy for ISSN assignment
>to digital reproductions within the ISSN Network but this is the current
>policy.  Perhaps when the revised ISSN standard, including provisions for
>a "Medium-Neutral ISSN (MNI)" is approved and implemented, some of these
>issues can be resolved by use of the MNI, which will be the same for all
>manifestations of a journal
>
>Regina  R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
>Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
>Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
>101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web
>page: lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
>Washington, D.C. 20540-4160
>

>On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Nancy Chaffin wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Perhaps I missed something on the discussion lists, but here is my
> > question/dilemma:
> >
> > I am finding records in OCLC for print serials that have long ago
> > ceased, but there are ISSNs in the record in a subfield a.
> >
> > Example: OCLC record # 1480181
> > 022 0  1547-6154
> > 245 04 The American journal of police science
> > 362 0  Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan.-Feb. 1930)-v. 3, no. 2 (Mar.-Apr. 1932).
> >
> > Clearly the print issues for this title were never printed with an ISSN.
> >
> > However, this record includes (secondary) information about the
> > electronic version of this title available through JSTOR (to which my
> > library subscribes) and HeinOnline (to which we have no access).
> >
> > It has been my (mistaken?) understand that JSTOR had requested ISSNs
> > retrospectively for the titles they were scanning and putting online; if
> > so, wouldn't the ISSN be the e-ISSN, not the print ISSN?
> >
> > The OCLC record for the electronic version of this title (an aggregator
> > neutral record reflecting availability through both JSTOR and
> > HeinOnline) includes the ISSN above, but in a subfield y. (OCLC record #
> > 47949278)
> >
> > Incidently, both of these are ELvl [blank] records. The one for the
> [...]

Katharina Klemperer, MLS
Library and Information Systems Consulting
37 Minuteman Rd.
Acton, MA 01720 USA
978-266-1776
kathy.klemperer@verizon.net