Re: Alfred Jaeger memories Susan Davis 02 Dec 2005 19:24 UTC

I met Alfred Jaeger over 20 years and was very impressed with the kindness
that he and his late wife showed me.  They were top notch folks who treated
you like a member of the family.  Nothing that is happening at the company
today will ever tarnish my wonderful memory of the Jaegers.

While no longer responsible for print periodicals, I have had concerns that
the back issue business is not what is once was.  I have been quite
impressed at how well Glenn and Absolute Backorder Service have been doing
in the new electronic world.  My library has been using Absolute since its
early days and has been a very satisfied customer.

Our business with Alfred Jaeger Inc. had significantly diminished for
various reasons, all business related.  I am hard pressed to believe that
Don would deliberately defraud customers.  He was a great believer in NASIG
and its ideal of an equal partnership in the serials information chain.  I
am relieved to learn that he is physically ok.

For those of you with long memories, remember what happened to USBE?

As Lee Ann notes, this is a sad situation all around.  It is always
difficult to see a long-time respected vendor hit hard times and disappear.

Susan

Susan Davis
Head, Electronic Periodicals Management Department
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
134 Lockwood Library
Buffalo, NY  14260-2210
(716) 645-2784
(716) 645-5955 fax
unlsdb@buffalo.edu

The opinions expressed in this message are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of my institution.

--On Friday, December 02, 2005 11:21 AM -0500 Bob Persing