Re: And yet another JSTOR question... Laura Vogler 13 Dec 2005 17:03 UTC

Hello,

For departments that have indicated they are willing to keep JSTOR titles
on a limited retention basis, we are keeping the current 5 years only and
have indicated this in our periodical holdings list.  Most titles seem to
have a moving wall of 5 years or less and we felt it was easiest if we
could just say current 5 years.  Each summer we move the previous years
issues to the bound periodical collection.  They are shelved loose in
Princeton files.  I put a strip of colored tape on the spine and a label on
the cover that indicates the issue is shelved with bound periodicals.  This
helps to keep the issues shelved in the correct place.  I have also placed
an empty video case (my solution to a dummy book) with a spine label that
says "Previous issues of this title are available through JSTOR" at the
beginning of each title in the bound periodical collection.

Laura

At 06:58 PM 12/12/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Our institution will be weeding the paper backfiles of JSTOR
>titles.  Since many of these titles have substantial moving walls (more
>than a few years) can those of you who are doing the same share with me
>what you are doing with the issues that are not yet covered in JSTOR?  Are
>you leaving them on the current shelves, boxing, binding, or some original
>idea outside the three noted?
>
>I realize this discussion may soon be irrelevant as more and more of the
>current JSTOR titles are published electronically, but in the meantime I
>am charged with figuring out a way to handle what could be lots of loose
>issues.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>Helen M. Aiello, Serials/E-Resources Librarian
>Wesleyan University Library
>Periodical Dept., P.O. Box 2799
>Middletown, CT 06459-9299.
>USA