Re: Name changes of Latino journal Jack Hall 16 Dec 2005 14:53 UTC

Fascinating. I've never seen a publisher tell us how to catalog their
materials before, but thanks for the information. As it turns out, the OCLC
record 1518968 is up to date with the subtitle changes, in a 520 note. Ms
Belcher might want to know that when a title is as distinctive as Aztlan
(not a "generic" title), one of our special cataloging practices is that
the subtitle is ignored in the main entry, so there are no title changes in
the sense catalogers know. Only one catalog record is needed. Now can we
turn around and tell publishers now not to confuse us catalogers (and
catalog users) with myriads of inconsistencies in numbering, frequency,
titles, publishers ...?

Jack

At 05:51 PM 12/15/2005, Belcher, Wendy wrote:
>Some librarians have had trouble tracking all the changes our journal and
>press have gone through over the years so I thought I would send a notice
>to you all.
>
>Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies has been around for thirty-five
>years, the journal of record in the field. It's previous names have been
>Aztlán: Chicano Journal of the Social Sciences and the Arts (1970-1974)
>and Aztlán: International Journal of Chicano Studies Research (1975-1985).
>The current name is Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies (1986-). We
>prefer for the whole name to be used, as the word Aztlan on its own is not
>informative to some.

Jack Hall
114L University of Houston Libraries
Houston, TX  77204-2000