Re: Microform Readers Charles L. King 24 Jan 2006 19:14 UTC

We had the same problem.  Our computer was replaced with one using Windows
XP Professional, and the software would no longer run.  Our local vendor
suggested (and it works well) using Word or using any digital photography
editing program.  They all have the option to import an image from a
scanner.

Charles L. King
Serials Librarian
Hawaii State Library
478 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96813-2994
http://www.state.hi.us/libraries/hsl/serials.html

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Carol Morse
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 6:52 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Microform Readers

I mean that the software will run only with Windows 98. We've tried to
change to Win 2000, but it won't work. The company doesn't provide new
software to adapt to Windows 2000, so even if the machine still works, it
will soon be a problem when the computer hooked to it becomes too old.
Windows 98 is no longer available. Carol Morse

>>> mrouilla@KEENE.EDU 01/23/06 6:52 AM >>>
What do you mean by 'updates'?

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:40:16 -0600
From:    "Hijleh, Renee" <HIJLEHRD@UWEC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Looking for other libraries that have eliminated check-in

This is not necessarily true. Let me tell you a story...or forget it, let me
make a long story short: We had what was billed as perpetual access to about
20 titles (I shall leave the major publisher unnamed- they are on my
blacklist as utterly unethical!!), and we even started to change our
retention format for the print because the package we bought stated
specifically that we would have perpetual access to the titles complete
archives up to the year of cancellation. (In other words, if the publication
was first printed in 1980, and we cancelled in 2003, then we "bought"
perpetually the years 1980 - 2003, and we would have access for these years,
and only these years,  for all time, even after we cancelled the print. This
featured a huge price increase as a start up fee, but renewals were to be
more reasonable because you were just "buying the archive of another year",
since you had already "bought" the previous years.) We thought that this was
great! But, lo and behold, the publisher must have realized that this was
too cumbersome to keep track of because two years down the road, the
publisher changed the packages available and no longer offered "perpetual
access".  Furthermore, we lost the "perpetual access" that we did have as
they would no longer honor the terms on which we had previously renewed our
subs for these titles. So now, we only get archival access as long as we
have a current online sub.

The moral of the story, or if there's one thing that we've learned through
our experience, it's that there are no guarantees in electronic subs. Even
when you think a publisher and their database are stable, they could be
bought out by another company, and that new company does not necessarily
have to honor the previous packages. We know, because we have had this
happen also.

Renee Hijleh
Periodicals Department
William D. McIntyre Library
PO Box 5010
University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI  54702-5010
715-836-3306
fax: 715-836-2949

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:25:56 -0500
From:    Glenn Jaeger <jaeger@ABSOLUTE-INC.COM>

Please allow me to add another reason why it's important to check in print
journals. It verifies that you physically have/had them within your facility
which is essential for disaster recovery. If you cannot prove that specific
titles and volumes were indeed received, FEMA and/or your insurance company
will not pay for that replacement. Think of how the libraries affected by
Katrina, Rita and Wilma will identify what they lost. My guess is that their
check in records will be a primary tool. Rebuilding a library collection is
difficult enough, imagine what it would be like if you didn't know what you
had?

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:04:44 -0600
From:    "Shankle, Jean" <jShankle@PCCI.EDU>

Maybe I can add a bit of personal experience to that.  Being in Pensacola,
FL and having been hit by Ivan last year (oops no longer last
year) and parts or all of 5 storms this past summer (Arlene, Cindy, Dennis,
Katrina, Rita), one of our main routes for mail delivery was through New
Orleans; I know we have periodicals floating around in the Gulf.  Our
claiming person has had many more items to claim this past year and a half.
If we didn't check-in issues, we wouldn't know if issues were being eaten by
fish or hanging in trees and we would have many sizable holes in our
collection.
(By the way we were able to plug most of the holes, which is better than
having to rebuild an entire library, so we were fortunate.) Jean Shankle

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:55:34 -0800
From:    Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Change in print frequency for selected T&F journals

Just wanted to second this concern. The vols. and numbers should match in
both formats. Otherwise, it's a nightmare to keep track of and cite! Carol
Morse

Carol Morse
Serials Librarian

Walla Walla College Library
Periodicals Dept.
104 S. College Ave.
College Place, WA  99324-1159

morsca@wwc.edu
509) 527-2684; fax 509) 527-2001

>>> srais@LLU.EDU 01/17/06 12:30 PM >>>
A couple of quick comments about possible effects of this:

1) How will the journals be cited in the abstracts & indexes in which they
appear?  How will print volumes & issues correspond to the online version?
For example, if a journal is indexed in Medline, will the citation reflect
the volume/Issue/pagination of the online or the print issues?

2) Will the frequency of the "archival" print volumes be easily verifiable
so we can claim missing volumes in a timely way?

3) What will happen if T & F decides to unbundle print & electronic?  I
appreciate the fact that T & F continues to includes online with print, but
if this practice is discontinued then print subscribers will lose out in
getting current information.

Shirley Rais, Chair, Serials Dept.
Loma Linda University Libraries
11072 Anderson St.
Loma Linda, CA  92350-0001

Phone: (909) 558-4583
FAX: (909) 558-4919
Srais@llu.edu

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:48:46 -0800
From:    julie su <julsu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Rules and Tools for Cataloging Intenet Resources Workshop-- Dallas,
TX

            Rules and Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources Workshop:

  Dates: February 15-16, 2006
Time: 8:30am-4:00pm
Place: Amigos Library Services, 14400 Midway Road, Dallas, Texas 75244

  Course description:
  Rules & Tools for Cataloging Internet Resources provides attendees with a
solid foundation in the principles and practices of online resource
cataloging, using current descriptive cataloging standards
(AACR2/MARC21) and practices (LCRI/CONSER/PCC). The course is designed for
practicing catalogers from all types of libraries with a working knowledge
of the MARC21 bibliographic format and AACR2. The course is intended to
instruct attendees in understanding the concepts behind the 2002 AACR2
revisions as they relate to electronic resource cataloging, familiarize
attendees with the resources available to support online resource
cataloging, and address the specifics of cataloging and updating online
integrating resources, online serials and online monographs. This workshop
will also assist attendees in having a better understanding of how record
sets and machines generated cataloging can be used to support electronic
resource record processing.

    Trainers:   Debbie Montgomery
Head of Electronic Resources
The University of Texas at Dallas   &   Julie Su
  Head of Serials
Digital Resources/Serials Librarian
San Diego State University

  To enroll or for more information, visit the Amigos training web site
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=

191>

Last day for Early-Bird registration is January 24th so don't delay if
you're interested in this workshop!

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:53:34 -0800
From:    Rick Anderson <rickand@UNR.EDU>
Subject: Eliminating check-in: responses (long)

Thanks to all who responded to my request for input from libraries that have
experimented with the elimination of periodical check-in.  In addition to
those responses, I was also flooded with requests from librarians wanting to
know what the responses were.  Instead of answering those requests
individually, it was suggested by several people that I summarize the

By the way, I'm not going to identify the responding libraries in this
message, but will leave it up to them to decide whether they want to be
publicly identified.  Brackets show where I have redacted information to
conceal the library's identity.

Response 1:

"[Our library] is moving to a core title list (244 titles) for check-in and
binding. We have an additional 324 titles (non-core titles)

that initially for 2006 we will receive but not check-in or bind. As we
reorganize our [current periodicals area] from over the next few months, we
will only keep 135 of the non-core titles where we lack an acceptable online
equivalent (its print only or online access is not stable, say via an
aggregator). The other non-core titles, where online access is acceptable,
will be discarded. We are moving to e-only subscriptions wherever possible.

"BTW, we just met with our [faculty advisory body] today and they fully
support our decision on reduced check-in. Their only questions concerned

archival access.

"My big challenge is retraining staff to handle e-resource work--I'm making
it up as I go with slow but steady progress."

Response 2:

"We have begun to evaluate the possibility of eliminating the entire
check-in process and have stopped checking in newspapers as a means of
reviewing the process and evaluating the repercussions of such a change."

Response 3:

"We have stopped newspaper check-in and are drastically cutting claiming.
We've talked about cutting check-in, but there are strong advocates on both
sides, so we are at a stalemate right now."

Response #4:

"I did a cost analysis study a while ago [...] to quantify the cost of
checking in an issue of a periodical and made the suggestion as a result

that we should not check in most daily or weekly publications.  That
suggestion, unfortunately, did not go very far, but we (I) have been looking
more carefully at whether it's worth the cost, especially for dailies."

Response #5:

"[Our library] has decided to eliminate a good portion of serial check-in.
We are only going to check-in copies received for the Main Library.  I
believe that this decision was made because the branches (we have 21 of
them)
did not really even use the summary of holdings statements.  They also
didn't think their patrons relied on them either.  However, the Main Library
(as they keep store the back issues for the entire library system) felt that
it would be important for them to have some listing of what they owned.

"All of our check-in (except for newspapers) is done at the Main Library, so
the branches have some delay in receiving their copies.  They decided that
they would rather have the magazines quicker, and if they could be delivered
directly to them if they did not have to get checked in at the Main Library.
(I think that there was some talk of having check-in done at the branch, but
it was decided that it was not worth the trouble since very few said they
even used the information generated by check-in.)  We are going to have to
phase this in over the next several years because apparently the addresses
on some of the subscriptions could only be changed when they are up for
renewal.  Branches are to notify our Acquisitions Department if an issue

needs to be claimed (this is pretty much how things are done now)."

Response #6:

"We eliminated check in for the following types of material:

        all daily publications
        all weekly serials (journals, newsletters, etc.)
        all titles designated "current year only retained"
        all "advance sheets" for law reporters which are superseded almost
         immediately

"we also, simultaneously, discontinued labelling all material in our state
and federal collections (we can get away with that since law collections,
even though classified in LC, are generally arranged by jurisdiction). We do
barcode them and check them in, because this material is allowed to
circulate, but we do not make call number labels anymore.

"These changes, and others having to do with processing, were adopted with
virtually no argument.  Since we were not adding staff, it was the only way
we were going to survive.  These changes may not seem like much they have
allowed us to keep up with the material that does require tracking,
primarily regularly issued looseleaf material.

"Another reason we moved as we did was to avoid having to create publication
patterns for all these types of material, which we knew would be very
time-
consuming.  Since we were migrating from one ILS to another at the same
time, it seemed a logical point at which to institute the changes.

"We have had very few negative comments about the decision to stop check in
for these kinds of publications.  (And I'm sure we would have heard from our
reference and research departments if they were displeased.)"

Response #7:

"We've eliminated it as of July on a trial basis that has been extended to
July 2006.  Because we are continuing to bind, we are having problems with
the binding workflow."

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries
(775) 784-6500 x273
rickand@unr.edu

End of SERIALST Digest - 17 Jan 2006 (#2006-13)