Re: Looking for other libraries that have eliminated check-in Dan Lester 15 Jan 2006 23:05 UTC

Every state and every institution has different rules regarding
auditing of institutional property.  However, has an auditor EVER come
looking to see if you have the December 2004 issue of Albanian
Underwater Basketweaving?  I didn't think so.

Remember that even if you have a subscription to the journal, and have
carefully recorded that you received it, that doesn't mean that it is
still in the library. Right?  As long as you have some issues for 04
(or whatever subscription period) and the documents that show you paid
for it (rather than writing a check to yourself), I believe you've
done your duty. And even if your auditors aren't happy that they, what
sanctions are they going to take?  Certainly they can't do anything
that will get you fired.

No, I'm not, thank goodness, an auditor.  But I do know that we
librarians make FAR too many decisions based on "what if" worst case
scenarios than we need to.  All too many libraries and library
departments are managed by fear and worry, rather than common sense.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA