Re: Moving Periodicals Collections/Handling the Dust van Sickle, Jennifer 16 Feb 2006 18:09 UTC

We have a very hard working and capable housekeeping staff that takes
care of dusty shelves.  They do a great job despite staff cutbacks.  Our
special collections library also purchased a vacuum cleaner for this
purpose, but I have not seen it in action in the closed stacks.

Guess we'll have to wait for the advent of 'Rosie' from the Jetsons...

-Jennifer

Jennifer van Sickle MLS
Serials Librarian/Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

Phone: 860-297-2250
Fax: 860-297-2251

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu
-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Jill Brungardt
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:29 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Moving Periodicals Collections/Handling the Dust

Hi Jen,

We have a small staff and a few student workers. We are ALWAYS dusting
and vacuuming our stacks. It is a continual project because it takes a
lot of time and a TON of effort to lug the vacuum upstairs. You can only
do it for an hour at a time before it's just to heavy. We dust more
often, but try to do the dusting when we can vacuum it right up. There
is a lot of information on  the "cleaning of stacks".  I am sure others
will have some great references, but if not, email me directly and I
will send you what I have.

Good luck!

Jill
Jill Brungardt