Re: site access? Martin, Amanda 16 Feb 2006 20:01 UTC

In my experience, "site access" is IP-authenticated access, in other
words, access that's only available on your institution's network.  No
usernames and passwords are required.  You'll probably have to work with
IT to get the global IP to give to vendors to ensure that every computer
on the network has accesses.

Ask the publisher for a license agreement to see what is covered and
what isn't, and always keep in mind that some negotiating can often
yield a more customized package for your library.

Amanda Martin
Serials Coordinator
Research Information Center (RIC)
AARP Library
amartin@aarp.org

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Barbara Pope
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:51 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] site access?

Hi, everyone.

We are starting a new subscription that has the print plus "site
access."  Just what exactly is "site access"?  Is that the online access

you get but you have to give out user ids and passwords to patrons?  Or
is it when you only have access in your building or school?  I don't
want us to have to be in the business of giving out passwords and trying

to figure out who to give them to.  It also seems ridiculous to have
access only in the building if we already have the print.  That's
unnecessarily complicated.

Thanks in advanced for any information.

Barbara Pope, MALS
Reference/Periodicals Librarian