Re: Space for serials growth Bolton, Karen S. 13 Feb 2006 16:00 UTC

Hi Sally,
Please send me this spreadsheet, too.  Thanks!

Karen Bolton
Serials Librarian
bolton@msoe.edu

Milwaukee School of Engineering
Walter Schroeder Library
1025 N. Broadway
Milwaukee, WI
53202-3109

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Sally Smith
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:04 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Space for serials growth

I have created a spreadsheet to use when shifting.  I have columns for Titles (includes both dead and active), Measurement of current inches, Measurement of past year inches, formula to calculate 5 years growth and
total inches needed for each title.   I then number the shelves and on the
spreadsheet a formula calculates where on each shelf a title should begin and end.  I used removable labels to put on the top of each shelf indicating shelves 1-7, 8-15 etc.  The advantage to this system was that I could work anywhere in the stacks since I knew what shelf a title would be on and where it should begin and end.  For example title might begin on shelf 7.46 or about in the middle of shelf 7 and stop on shelf 8.75.  The next title
begins at 8.75.   It does require accurate measuring, but I was able to give
the project to students with a measuring tape and laptop and they did quite well.  I would be glad to send my spreadsheet to anyone is interested.

Sally

Sally Smith
Bethel University Library
Serials Dept.
3900 Bethel Drive  St. Paul, MN 55112

Phone:  651-635-8544   Fax:  651-635-1971
http://www.library.bethel.edu/