Re: Binding JSTOR titles Aline Soules 22 Mar 2006 17:58 UTC

Good timing, Diane.  Our library is just in the process of withdrawing
back issues of JSTOR.  For a long time, we withdrew issues & bound
volumes from the shelves and stored them in our basement, essentially
making them inaccessible even though we had a list and we knew what was
in each box.  Their storage made it very difficult to retrieve.

We then spend a couple of years where we didn't withdraw them from the
shelves - pressure of other work, staff shortages, etc., etc.

Now that time has passed, we have decided to discard the back issues.
We have chosen a static date - through 1998 - in order to cover all the
embargo years and yet have an easy demarcation point for the
withdrawal.  We are adjusting our records now and we will be disposing
of the physical volumes this summer.

As for donating these volumes, we are not in a position to do that
because of State of California regulations.

Aline

--
Aline Soules, Associate University Librarian
California State University, East Bay