FW: Social Forces Stephen Clark 27 Mar 2006 21:41 UTC

-----Original Message-----
From: Jane Shealy [mailto:hjshealy@EMAIL.UNC.EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 2:02 PM
To: serialst-request@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Social Forces

To: 		Our Institutional Subscribers
From:		Jane Shealy, Managing Editor, Social Forces
Regarding:	Fall 2006 Rates
Date:		March 2006

I wanted to take this opportunity to explain the increase in our
subscription fees before you place your order for next year and to
invite you to please contact me with any questions or concerns.

For many years, our subscription rates have not been revised. Last year,
a thorough review of our budget necessitated looking at every means
possible to cut expenses and increase revenues. As we surveyed other
journals in our field, we discovered that our institutional rate of $82
in 2004 and $110 in 2005 was only one-third to one-fifth the rate
charged by comparable journals.

For example, in 2004, the American Journal of Sociology charged $296 in
2003-2004 and $325 in 2004-2005. The American Sociological Review went
from $180 to $196 in the same time period. And, Gender and Society
charged $462 last volume year and $518 this year.

Furthermore, we observed that these journals had reached these current
rates either with annual rate hikes or a series of more substantial
increases over several years. We have chosen the latter course, but want
to assure you that this is not the beginning of a sustained campaign to
gouge you.

We are raising our institutional rate from $110 to $200 for the next
volume year and will follow up with $50-a-year increases for the next
two years, bringing us to $300 in 2007. If trends continue, other
journals used in this comparison would range from $250 to $700.

We feel the increase is relatively modest and well justified. We hope
you will agree that the value is there for you and all of our readers.
In the calendar year 2005 we published 92 papers by 98 authors,
representing 67 U.S. colleges and universities and 16 international
institutions of higher learning. Articles and book reviews totaled 1,796
pages, more than any previous year. We are asking for your support as we
address these matters that affect our financial future. Please contact
me with any questions or concerns you might have: hjshealy@email.unc.edu
or 919-962-5503.