Re: Something about Project Muse Hutchens, Chad 29 Mar 2006 21:13 UTC

"more than 80% of Muse titles are redundant with the other databases we
have"

Are you speaking of just title overlap?  Or are you counting in coverage
overlap as well?  That is, the titles might occur in other databases,
but is the coverage equal for the same title in another database?

My other question would be which PM packages do you currently have...or,
which package(s) did you cancel rather?

Chad E. Hutchens
Electronic Resources Librarian
Montana State University Libraries
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT  59717-3320
(406) 994-4313 phone
(406) 994-2851 fax
chutchens@montana.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Tian Zhang
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:35 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Something about Project Muse

Until 2005, our university library subscribed Project Muse. This year,
as the subscription fee goes up, I was asked to have the overlap
analyses with all our other databases about the Muse titles. The result
is: more than 80% of Muse titles are redundant with the other databases
we have. Only about less than 40 titles in Muse are unique. (18 Duke
titles which are also unique have been already withdrawn from Muse). At
last, our library decided not to subscribe Project Muse starting 2006.

But after we stop the subscription, we got phone calls from professors
who are used to Muse for retrieve some articles. Even though I some
times can find the articles for them by using ProQuest, or Ebsco, or
some other databases, this makes me rethink whether it is a correct
decision to quit Project Muse. And another problem is that when users
tried to get articles from a title in Jstor, they were referred to Muse.
So, I have to raise the question for our library whether we should pick
it up again or not.

I just want to hear from the other Serials Librarians: what do you think
about Project Muse? And what is your library's policy for deselect
databases with the impact of budget?

Thank you in advice for sharing the information with me.

Tian X. Zhang

Serials Librarian
St. John's University Library
8000 Utopia Parkway