Re: Best Journal Hosting Sites Follow up / SERIALST Scope Birdie MacLennan 03 Mar 2006 22:35 UTC

Greetings all,

Jeanette Skwor <skworj@UWGB.EDU> wrote:
> Public discussion on the merits of various commercial services is
> absolutely within the scope of this list (isn't it?); it was certainly
> helpful and oh-so-interesting to me.

Speaking about the scope of the list, here is a reminder that the SERIALST
Scope and Purpose statement can still be found on the web:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html
Section 2.0 includes a disclaimer:

*** Disclaimer: The University of Vermont offers SERIALST as a public
service. It does not verify the accuracy of submitted messages, nor does
it endorse opinions expressed by contributors to the SERIALST forum.
Authors of messages to SERIALST are solely responsible for their content.
The moderators reserve the right to reject postings that do not fall
within the scope and purpose of the list. ***

At different times throughout SERIALST's 15+ years of service, the
moderators have come under fire sometimes for allowing certain messages to
go through and, at times, for withholding certain messages or asking users
to (re)consider their wording.  I think my co-moderators would agree with
me, that we withhold very few messages that are related to the topic of
"serials in libraries," messages that raise true issues about broad
perspectives on serials in relation to libraries.  We do block a lot of
spam and the moderators debate sometimes amongst themselves about
interpreting grey areas of commercial content in some of the messages we
receive.  Above all, we try to maintain a level playing field among all
SERIALST subscribers.

We generally assume that contributors to the SERIALST forum have carefully
considered the message(s) they submit for posting and accept full
responsibility for their content.  As moderators, we also trust and hope
that there will be a reasonable amount of courtesy and consideration of
others in any exchanges that take place -- that contributors to SERIALST
keep the tone of the discussions on-scope, civilized, and
information-oriented so that we can all gather useful and meaningful
perspectives on the issues affecting our workplace and the serials
environment.

SERIALST is currently busier and more active than it has been at any other
time in its 15 year history.  There are around 3,100 subscribers in 46
countries.  There are many different constituents from the serials
community (librarians, publishers, vendors, aggregators, agents, etc.) who
read SERIALST messages carefully, and on a daily basis.

We realize now, as always, that there is a need for an open forum for
discussing important, timely, and sometimes controversial issues.  The
SERIALST moderators are committed to providing and maintaining that forum.
At the same time, with so much information surrounding us, I think we need
to choose our words wisely and weigh the consequences of what we transmit
to the world.  Above all, we should be respectful and civil in our ongoing
discourse.

Sincerely,

	Birdie MacLennan
        SERIALST Listowner/Moderator