Re: OCLC Connexion for Union List Laura Vogler 07 Mar 2006 14:52 UTC

Hello Everyone,

This has been discussed on the OCLC listserve UL-L.  I posed that same
question myself.  Once you replace a record, you are done with
it.  However, I was getting that same message about active records.  Myrtle
Myers from OCLC explains the situation as follows:

Hi Everyone,
The active records screen will always show records (both bibliographic
and Local Holdings) that are still in 'edit mode.' Whether you intend to
edit the record or not if you display a bibliographic or local holdings
record in edit mode that record will be kept on your active records list
until a final action is taken or you logoff and tell it to ignore your
active records.  In most cases where you have taken a final action on
the local holdings record the bibliographic record associated with that
Local holdings record is still considered open in edit mode (even if you
by pass the bibliographic record and go straight to the Local holdings
record the system views that as opening the bibliographic and local
holdings record) so will show on your active records list.

You do have the option in preferences to not display this reminder
screen so it will automatically log you off even if there are records
still considered to be in 'edit mode'

To do this:
Logon to Connexion Browser
Go to the General Tab
Choose 'Preferences' from the 'Admin Options' Drop down list
Hit the 'General Options' link
Hit the 'Interface Customization Options' link
Scroll down the list to the 'Show or Hide Logoff Warning'
Choose 'Hide - Immediate Logoff. Active records closed and unsaved edits
lost'

This will log you off without warning you of any bibliographic or local
holdings records that are still in 'edit mode' The one thing to remember
is that this is an all or nothing type of setting so even if you had
started to edit a record and forgot to take the final action and then
logged off the system would log you off without warning you about the
records you have open in 'edit mode'

At 04:10 PM 3/6/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried updating his/her institution's holdings on the web interface
>of OCLC Connexion?  I have gone through the tutorial twice now, and there
>seems to be a step missing from the so-called "Final Actions."
>
>I updated a record, clicked on the validate function and then clicked on
>the "update record" function, once I got the happy "validated" status.
>
>When I logoff from the server, however, I get a message that indicates
>I have an "active record" for which the update work may not be saved if
>I don't complete the task.   What is the missing action to complete and
>save my work?  I realize there is further training available, but I just
>need this one piece of information . . . at least for now!
>
>The tutorial only mentions the "validate" and "replace record" actions.
>
>To quote one of my favorite operas: "Zu Hilfe, zu Hilfe! Sonst bin ich
>verloren!"
>
>Please respond directly to: Tusa@almark.lamar.edu.   If there is interest,
>I will share (and credit) the answers with the list.
>
>Vielen Dank!
>Sarah Tusa
>Coordinator of Acquisitions, etc.
>Lamar University