Re: rate of switch from print to online only Borchert, Carol Ann 08 Mar 2006 15:44 UTC

Hi, Steve!  I'll play this game:

At what rate will your library cancel print subscriptions in lieu of
online only access?
--As fast as possible

What portion of your periodicals collection will still arrive in print
in 2026?
--As close to 0% as possible

We are already down to about 2500 print subscriptions (which includes
print + online titles) out of 6,000 subscriptions (not including 13,000
unduplicated aggregator titles).  I'm hoping to continue chiseling out a
few hundred per year until we hit those titles that either:

--have no online-only option
--have online access with moving walls or publisher has no intention of
providing perpetual access

We may hit that point in just a few years.  We are already looking at
the single-title publishers for conversion.  (And the license agreements
that go with them).  We may end up with a base of 1000-1500 that we
can't convert at the end.

Carol Ann

Carol Ann Borchert, MLS, MA
Coordinator for Serials