Re: late issues Steiniger, Kara 03 Apr 2006 16:07 UTC

Hi,
  There have been a few other problematic titles as well.  A number of people responded that it could very well be the post office.  I've learned that a major West Los Angeles mail processing center was shut down a few months ago and its operation moved downtown.  I also learned about putting a "postal watch," on the titles, which we'll do.
  Thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies!
--Kara

Kara Steiniger
Manager, Resource Services
RAND Library
(310) 393-0411 ext. 6296
(310) 451-6920 fax
Kara_Steiniger@rand.org
www.rand.org

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU]On Behalf Of Christopher Allen Waldrop
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 8:48 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] late issues

Kara,
It might be correct that it's a problem with the post office. Our
issues arrive 7-10 days after the date of publication. It sounds
like the arrival date for yours varies a lot more than that. It
might also be a matter of your vendor. Our subscription is with a
vendor who has an office in Paris.

Is it just Le Monde or is this happening with other titles?

--On Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:06 PM -0800 "Steiniger, Kara"
<steinig@RAND.ORG> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I'm new to serials acquisitions, and am wondering how people
> handle consistently inconsistent arrival times for titles. Our
> issues of Le Monde, for example, arrive anywhere from one to
> three weeks after the publication date.  When we report this to
> our subscription agent, they place a claim, but I'd like to
> address the problem rather than place zillions of claims.  Does
> one go directly to the publisher / distributor for such problems?
> Our sub. agent has suggested that it may be a problem at our post
> office, which sounds unlikely to me.   Thanks,
> --Kara
>

> Kara Steiniger
> Manager, Resource Services
> RAND Library
> (310) 393-0411 ext. 6296
> (310) 451-6920 fax
> Kara_Steiniger@rand.org
> www.rand.org
>

> --------------------
>
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s) and may contain privileged information. Any
> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
> message.

Christopher Allen Waldrop
Serials Coordinator
Order Services Department
Vanderbilt University Library
Ph: 615-343-3831
Fax: 615-343-8834

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.