Re: Online journal holdings in OPAC Latchney, Jim 06 Apr 2006 17:18 UTC

Which ILS do you use?

Jim Latchney
Continuing Resource Cataloging & Reference Librarian
Michigan State University Libraries
100 Library
East Lansing, MI 48824-1048
(517) 432-6123 x317
(517) 353-8969 (fax)
http://www.lib.msu.edu/staff/latchney

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Yaples, Jill
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:10 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Online journal holdings in OPAC

Does anyone have an automated way of keeping up with changes in online
journal holdings in their OPAC that doesn't require receiving MARC
bibliographic records from a vendor? I know that Serials Solutions
offers MARC bibliographic records for electronic journals which include
holdings that can be regularly updated, but we use the one record
approach for our print/electronic titles (public services decision), so
using vendor records aren't really feasible. We do get holdings
information from Serials Solutions that people can access from our
library's web site that isn't connected to the OPAC. We also use SFX.
Also, separate from the OPAC. I'm mentioning them, just in case there is
a way to utilize these products to automate OPAC holdings for online
journals.

Thank you for any suggestions you can give me,

Jill D. Yaples

Electronic Resources Cataloger

Cataloging Unit

Binghamton University Libraries