Re: Supplements of Periodicals Hank Young 11 Apr 2006 15:24 UTC

I had one of these just yesterday!

The particular title (Chile forestall) sometimes comes with a Documento técnico which is mentioned on the OCLC record for Chile forestall and has its own record.

What I did was contact the selector and asked him what his plans were.  There were 3 basic options: 1) Discard ; 2) Bind separately ; 3) Bind with the journal.  He chose option 2.  However; this is a decision I would never undertake myself, it clearly is the selector's decision.

This was an easy case because the supplement was itself a serial (with its own numbering, and mention of the numbering of the issue it was received with).  Monographic supplements may or may not be cataloged individually ... once again, I defer to the selector's choice.

Hope this helps!
Hank

William C. (Hank) Young
University of Florida
Smathers Libraries

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Shankle, Jean
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:19 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Supplements of Periodicals

Supplements that come with periodicals are always such a question mark.

How do you all handle the supplements that come with your subscriptions?
Do you check them in with the title or throw them out?

Some periodicals have supplements that are a important part of the
publication, more of a part 2 than a supplement, do you just keep those
and not others?  (For instance, Forbes and MMWR.)

The supplements that are just advertisements sometimes have value for
some majors so we keep those, but how to handle them can be a problem
sometimes.

Is there a source anywhere that indicates what periodical supplements
are indexed in the major periodical indexes or databases? Or do you have
to look each title up individually?

I appreciate the help I always receive from all of you!

Thank you.
Jean

Miss Jean Shankle
Periodical Librarian