daily newspapers (5 messages) SERIALST Moderator 09 May 2006 19:18 UTC

5 messages:

(1)------------------
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:08:22 -0400
From: "Martin, Amanda" <AMartin@aarp.org>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] daily newspapers

We check in daily newspapers with the Cuadra Star ILS.

I've found it very practical because it's a solid record that they were
in fact received.  Once they're out on the floor, it's another story on
whether they stick around or walk away.

Thanks,

Amanda Martin
Serials Coordinator
Research Information Center (RIC)
AARP Library
amartin@aarp.org
202-434-6245
FAX 202-434-6408
AARP
601 E Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20049

Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:15:33 -0500
From: "Koller, Rita" <koller@lakeforest.edu>

Linda,

Being a samll academy library (1400 students) our staff is small too. We
depend heavily on student help. They have enough to do dealing with
checking in the print journals and other Tech Services .A few years back,
we did check in the print. It was too time consuming. If you have a lot of
students to help you, go for it.

Rita Koller
Lake Forest College
Lake Forest, Illinois

(3)------------------
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:17:40 -0500
From: "Bennett, Karla" <KBennett@wichita.gov>

Here in Wichita we check in the newspapers that come to the main branch
before sending them to General Reference where they are available to the
public, except the local papers and Wall Street Journal.  This enables us
to track receipt and notice any lapses in service.  We subscribe to many
papers through a subscription agent and sometimes the newspapers raise
their rates and the subs expire before the date the agency has on record.
Our branches record their own receipt (not in our system) of the Wichita
papers, Wall Street Journal, and ValueLine and contact me if there is a
problem.

(4)------------------
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:33:40 -0400
From: "Freisatz, Dawn M" <FREISADM@Cobleskill.edu>

We do check in our daily newspapers electronically in our opac. It is
easier to check them in (only takes a second) than to sort through and
separate the weekly papers from the daily ones when the mail comes. Our
weekly ones are also checked in electronically.

Dawn Freisatz
Van Wagenen Library
SUNY Cobleskill
142 Schenectady Ave
Cobleskill, NY  12043
(518)255-5841
freisadm@cobleskill.edu

(5)------------------
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:29:19 -0500
From: "Pennington, Buddy D." <penningtonb@umkc.edu>

Hi Linda,

We do a combo thing here.  We do check in a handful of newspapers in our
Innovative system (the Kansas City Star, New York Times, etc.).  Other
regional papers are still being done on cards.

When I worked at the Kansas City Public Library, we did all of our
newspaper checkins in a binder.  We printed out monthly sheets listing
all the newspapers (we received about 50 of them) with boxes for the
days.  NOTE that this was for the newspapers at our central branch.

I have to admit it was easier and faster to do the binder than to check
in online.  However, at Kansas City Public, we had a public periodicals
service desk so it was easy for staff to check the binder to see if a
particular issue had arrived.  We aren't so fortunate here at UMKC so
our logic is to do online checkin for the major daily papers that people
are always asking for.  Folks at the circulation desk can check the OPAC
to see if they have arrived.  The other papers aren't used as heavily so
we use the faster method of checking in on cards.

For your particular situation (75 branches!?) I would say that it would
probably be impractical to check all those newspapers in online for all
those locations.  At the Kansas City Public Library, the periodicals and
newspapers were not checked in at the branches.  It was up to the branch
managers to eyeball their periodicals shelves and let the central
Serials Department know if any titles were not being received.  It was
easy enough for them to have a list of the current titles and have
someone just check the shelves every couple of weeks.  The more
"energetic" managers set up checkin systems using Excel or binders but
none of them were using true checkin records in the ILS system.

Hope that helps.  And yes, NASIG was excellent (as usual!!).

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
UMKC - University Libraries
800 E. 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
816-235-1548
816-333-5584 (fax)
penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Connecting Learners to the World of Knowledge

www.umkc.edu/lib