Re: daily newspapers Jason Ford 10 May 2006 22:32 UTC

We here in Alaska also electronically check in all newspapers. However, it
is necessary for us since we are an historical library, and we film many of
the newspapers that we receive here in the same building. Many of them
contain historical content sensitive to the state of Alaska. At the same
time, we also check in those papers that are not of historical significance
to our state, such as the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, etc., in
order to keep better track of the newspapers as they are discarded and
replaced by microfilm.
Best
Jasee!

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU]On Behalf Of Linda Dausch
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:14 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] daily newspapers

I just returned from the excellent NASIG conference in Denver and in the
midst of the excitement forgot to ask attendees the question my bosses
sent me to ask: does anybody electronically check-in daily newspapers,
either print or e-versions? we are trying to figure out if this is
something that would be worth doing at all of our 75 library branches or
if it is completely impractical. Thanks for any responses.

Linda S. Dausch
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Technical Services
Chicago Public Library
400 S State St., 9S-18
Chicago, IL  60605