Re: SERIALST Digest - 11 May 2006 to 12 May 2006 (#2006-103) Dianne Ford 15 May 2006 12:35 UTC

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
system
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:00 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: SERIALST Digest - 11 May 2006 to 12 May 2006 (#2006-103)

Topics of the day:

  1. Microform machine responsibilities
  2. daily newspapers (2)
  3. daily newspapers (3 messages)
  4. Position Announcement - National Library of Medicine (fwd)

Date:    Fri, 12 May 2006 08:54:01 -0400
From:    Anne McCaffrey <mccaffra@DOWLING.EDU>
Subject: Re: Microform machine responsibilities

Good Morning, Christine,

      At Dowling College the microform reader printers are kept in
Circulation Department where all materials are checked in and out and
where many of the students use the computers. If microfilm becomes
damaged, replacement copies are ordered through Technical Services where
ordering of materials takes place.  The Library secretary is informed if
the machines should need repair, etc.

      I hope this helps,
      Anne McCaffrey
      Advanced Senior Library Assistant/Serials
      Dowling College
>>> christine.freeman@TAMUK.EDU 05/11/06 10:19 AM >>>
Everyone,

I am curious about which department in your libraries are responsible
for the maintenance of your microform reader printers, and the reasoning
behind why that department has that duty. I am particularly interested
in academic libraries.

Thanks,

Christine

--

Christine Freeman
Serials Librarian

Texas A&M University - Kingsville
James C. Jernigan Library
700 University Blvd.
MSC 197
Kingsville, Tx 78363

361.593.3916

email: christine.freeman@tamuk.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 2006 10:40:51 -0400
From:    "Stokes, Judith" <JStokes@RIC.EDU>
Subject: Re: daily newspapers

We do check in our dailies, but not electronically. We have a little
Kardex folder and our students do the checking in that -- they don't
need to learn our system, just to check in the right box. And it's worth
the effort to us because people do wander into the office to ask about a
particular issue and we hate to go looking for one that hasn't arrived,
anyway!

Judith E. Stokes, Serials Librarian
James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College Providence, RI 02908-1991
401.456.8165
JStokes@RIC.edu

Date:    Fri, 12 May 2006 12:23:21 -0400
From:    SERIALST Moderator <bmaclenn@UVM.EDU>
Subject: daily newspapers (3 messages)

3 messages:

(1)-------------------
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:24:31 -0700
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@wwc.edu>

We do the same.
Carol Morse

>>> JStokes@RIC.EDU 05/12/06 7:40 AM >>>

(2)------------------
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:43:26 -0400
From: Colleen Smith <CSmit@mail.als.edu>

We also use the manual Kardex approach.  We only get a handful of daily
newpapers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Colleen E. Smith
Head of Technical Services
Schaffer Law Library
Albany Law School
Albany, New York 12208
(518) 445-2341

Please note, effective immediately, you can e-mail me at my new address
csmit@albanylaw.edu.  The old e-mail address is being phased out.

(3)-------------------
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:36:33 -0500
From: Bill Osment <BillOsment@kclibrary.org>

I use an excel file with an alphabetical list of titles and a small box
for each day of the month to check them in.  We do check in a few of our
weeklies on the SIRSI Serials Module, ie The Call, National Catholic
Reporter, and some others.

Bill Osment
Serials/Reference Librarian
Kansas City Public Library
14 W 10th St
Kansas City, MO  64105

701-3400 ext 4216

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 May 2006 12:26:58 -0400
From:    SERIALST Moderator <bmaclenn@UVM.EDU>
Subject: Position Announcement - National Library of Medicine (fwd)

Date:    Fri, 12 May 2006 10:22:56 -0700
From:    Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>

Linda,
   Our library does not check in daily newspapers.  The reason: we do
not claim dailies so checking them in would only add to the workload
to no avail.

-- Mitch Turitz
  _^_                                                 _^_
(___)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ( ___ )
|   |                                               |   |
|   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
|   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
|   |     voice: (415) 338-7883                     |   |
|   |     CFA:   (415) 338-6232                     |   |
   V                                                   V

--

End of SERIALST Digest - 11 May 2006 to 12 May 2006 (#2006-103)