Re: Institutional versus personal subscriptio ns Skwor, Jeanette 01 Jun 2006 20:33 UTC

***Ian quoted me and said:
---------------------
" In this scenario, why not contact the organization/pub, explain the
situation, and ask them?"

You have to make an actuarial calculation that 1.) it might not be in
their material interest to be straight with you and 2.) that their
material interest might trump their sense of fair play.  It has been
known to happen.
---------------------

***Of course.  In this case, I figure it is them or me.  I can be honest
& aboveboard with them and hope for the same in return.  Whether they
are or are not isn't a burden upon my conscience.

***It would, however, solve my dilemna of "should I or shouldn't I?"  If
I were ready to do what I thought expedient - or honest, or ethical, for
that matter, I'd not be wondering & therefore would not inquire, but
would go ahead and act upon that readiness.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
(920) 465-2670