Re: Institutional versus personal subscriptions Belvadi, Melissa 01 Jun 2006 21:46 UTC

There seems to be a great deal of confusion out there are about the
concepts of legality, ethics, and contractual obligations.

A subscription to a periodical is a contract between buyer and seller.
All of these questions raised on this thread recently should come down
to: what are the terms of the contract between the buyer (subscriber)
and seller (publisher)? If the contract explicitly forbids the buyer to
donate the periodical issues to an institution, then the buyer would be
in violation of the contract if they did so and subject to lawsuit or
whatever other remedies might be included in the contract. Since the
library is not a party to the contract, the library has no legal issues
at all, and I would argue, no ethical ones either.   Some journals have
such terms. Those who do not are then subject to the first sale
doctrine, which most certainly DOES apply to periodicals every bit as
much as books. The first sale doctrine (which is explicitly codified in
US law, not just a vague principle) says that once you buy a copy of a
copyrighted work, you can do whatever you want with your physical copy,
except make copies (and related derivations). So you can give it to a
library. Contracts supersede legal rights - a professor can sign away
his/her first sale doctrine rights in order to obtain a subscription.
But if the contract is silent on the issue, the statutory law is in
force. Copyright law is about making new copies of a protected work, not
about the disposition of legally created copies and has absolutely
nothing to do with the issue being discussed in this thread.

The only ethical issue I see is for a library who tried to pressure a
member of their community into violating a subscription contract.
Periodical sales are a business, and a very large and profitable one for
some companies at that.  You can be sure that Taylor&Francis, Elsevier,
etc. have plenty of lawyers looking out for their interests and their
interests are also protected by the massive monopoly power granted under
national and international copyright law. There's no need for librarians
to gift them with any more rights than they are already entitled to out
of a misplaced sense of "fairness".

In the specific example of the gyn group below, one has to look at the
terms of the membership/subscription contract signed/agreed to by the
doctors. But it's important to understand that if the doctors violate
the contract, that's not a violation by the library because the library
isn't a party to the contract. That's a really important point that
can't be emphasized enough.

Other respondents on this thread have itemized excellently the practical
concerns for libraries in dealing with donated serials so I won't repeat
those points.

Melissa Belvadi
Systems and Services Librarian
Maryville University Library