Re: Institutional versus personal subscriptions Belvadi, Melissa 02 Jun 2006 20:57 UTC

In many cases in our lives, no explicit contract exists as such. There
is a special set of laws, which includes the Uniform Commercial Code,
which defines laws regarding commercial interactions where there is no
explicit contract. The law also allows for implicit contractual terms,
like "fitness for use" (it's assumed when someone sells you a ladder
that you can safely climb on it in the normal way). Some contracts are
what are sometimes called "shrinkwrapped" - you don't explicitly sign a
piece of paper and you have no opportunity to negotiate, but somewhere
on the terms of sale are the additional terms that govern the sales'
contractual rules. I think any publisher would argue reasonably that
simply listing the individual price and the institutional price side by
side creates such terms, and thus it would be a violation of the terms
of sale for you to misrepresent yourself as an individual when you were
actually buying a subscription for the library with the library's funds.
However, that's a totally different situation from asking a professor
who bought an individual subscription in his/her own name and with
his/her own funds to donate the issues to you.  I think the original
message talked about the library giving money to the professor to have
the professor buy it and then donate it. In this situation, I would
think the publisher would have a strong claim that the professor (but
not the library) violated the terms of the implicit contract through
fradulent misrepresentation. This is more the equivalent of your example
of misrepresenting yourself as under 12 at the movies (by the way, your
movie ticket may have a HUGE contract in tiny print on the back). But
there's a legal world of difference that comes down to who technically
purchased the subscription, which in turn comes down to the combination
of whose name is the subscription under and whose funds actually paid
for it (the latter probably having the most weight).
If anyone knows of any court cases that have actually adjudicated the
issue as to whether the exchange of money between library and subscriber
creates a fraudulent purchase situation in this context, I'd love to
hear about it.

People work to "circumvent" unfavorable contract terms all the time.
Those efforts fall into two different categories: legal ones (which we
often call "loopholes") and illegal ones (which we usually call
"fraud").
In a for-profit business arrangement, you should feel entirely ethically
free to exploit any genuine ("legal") loopholes you can find to the
betterment of the institution to whom you owe your fiduciary loyalty.
Consider whether indulging in your sense of ethics towards a for-profit
publisher is endangering your ethical obligation to your non-profit
employer not to waste your employer's resources.

Melissa Belvadi
Systems and Services Librarian
Maryville University Library
13550 Conway Rd., St. Louis, MO 63141