Re: Browsing or Current periodical collections SUSAN BEIDLER 09 Jun 2006 17:37 UTC

Harriet,
We also are an academic library and in the process of implementing
something very similar to what Gettysburg is doing.  However, our number
of titles is much smaller.  We have about 675 print subscriptions (many
others have been migrated to online only) and we're targeting 80 titles
of the current awareness/popular magazine type arranged alphabetically
for our browsing collection.  We will keep the current volume of those
titles in the browsing area.  Issues for all other titles will go
directly to the shelves with our bound volumes.

Although we've had faculty buy-in for the concept, the impact of the
actual move won't be seen until fall.

Sue

Sue Beidler
Snowden Library
Lycoming College
700 College Place
Williamsport PA 17701

phone: 570-321-4084
fax:      570 321-4090
email: beidler@lycoming.edu

>>> Mary Holland <mholland@GETTYSBURG.EDU> 06/09/06 11:01 AM >>>
Dear Harriet,

We are an academic library. We used to keep current issues of all our
journals (1200+) in a display area alphabetically by title. Two years
ago we reduced this to a selection of roughly 150 current awareness,
popular magazine, and literary reviews, also arranged alphabetically
by
title.  All other titles go directly to our compact shelving.

 Mary Holland
Interlibrary Loan / Technical Services Assistant
Gettysburg College
300 North Washington Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325
717-337-7005 in AM