Re: Change to IP address ranges for electronic journals/electronic resources? (fwd) SERIALST Moderator 13 Jun 2006 15:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:50:51 -0500
From: Patricia Thompson <pthompso@sewanee.edu>
Subject: Re: Change to IP address ranges for electronic

Amanda Z. Okandan wrote:

>Dear Serialsters,
>
>We use IP address ranges to authenticate access for the great majority
>of our resources, and now need to change part of that information. Have
>any of you had the need to change your IP address information with all
>of your vendors/publishers? If so, do you have any words of wisdom for
>me? I'd be very interested to learn what worked well and what didn't
>work so well.

I hope I don't have to do it again!  It was a pain. I made a list of
all the resources, and then went to websites and found technical
support email addresses and sent them emails. I asked for a response.
I just manually checked off the ones I had done and gotten responses
from. If you have an ERM, you can probably group them by provider,
and you also probably have the contact information stored. Even so, I
can't think of a way that this could be automated. Also, there are
always those providers that do not respond.

Then of course, there is the testing to make sure it worked. The
major change I had to make was our outbound proxy IP, and it was
impossible to test because all the computers I have access to are
within our network.

Pat Thompson

Patricia Thompson
Assistant University Librarian for Resource Management Services
Jessie Ball duPont Library
The University of the South
735 University Ave.
Sewanee, TN 37383