Nature issue (6 messages) SERIALST Moderator 20 Jul 2006 16:52 UTC

>Mary Williams <mary.williams@MINOTSTATEU.EDU> wrote:
>
>The January 5, 2006 issue of Nature (v.439:no.7072) failed to arrive at
>our library.  Our vendor says that the publisher will not replace and
>it's in great demand on a replacement listserv.  Anyone know more than
>that?

6 messages:

(1)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:01:11 -0400
From: "van Sickle, Jennifer" <Jennifer.Vansickle@trincoll.edu>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] Nature issue (2 messages)

We did receive this issue, but we had a dozen or so missing issues last
summer, and despite numerous claims, we still did not receive all of
them.  Our experience with Nature's customer service last year was very
poor, and I hope someone from Nature will address this if he/she is
lurking.

Jennifer van Sickle MLS
Serials Librarian/Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

Phone: 860-297-2250
Fax: 860-297-2251

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu

(2)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:15:55 -0400
From: Penny Lochner <plochner@muhlenberg.edu>

I did not receive any of v.439 and have been told by the publisher (via
Ebsco) that it is out of print. If enough people are missing the issue,
would they reprint?

Penny Lochner, Serials Librarian
Trexler Library
Muhlenberg College
2400 W. Chew Street
Allentown, PA 18104-5564
USA
email: plochner@muhlenberg.edu
voice: 484-664-3561
fax: 484-664-3511

(3)-------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:58:31 -0400
From: "Tuscano, Theresa" <ttuscano@ursinus.edu>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] Nature issue

I also claimed this issue along with issue no. 7075.  I received 2 copies
of no. 7075 but have yet to see issue no. 7072.  It seems funny that so
many people did not get this issue and that the publisher seems unwilling
to replace it.

Theresa

Theresa M. Tuscano
Periodicals/Government Documents Manager
Myrin Library
Ursinus College
601 E. Main St.
Collegeville, PA 19426
Phone: (610) 409-3000, ext. 2292
mail to: ttuscano@ursinus.edu

(4)------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:00:12 -0500
From: Barbara Pope <bpope@pittstate.edu>

We also did not get that issue.  Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating,
I checked one of our databases to see if a January 5 issue was indexed and
it was indexed.  I finally just decided to bind that part incomplete. I
tried to locate a replacement in BACKSERV and ALCTSDEU, as well as the
missing issue bank but to no avail.

Barbara Pope, MALS
Reference/Periodiclas Librarian
Axe Librarian
Pittsburg State University

(5)------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:05:45 -0400
From: Beth Burleigh <bburleig@pct.edu>

We are missing this issue also. It sounds to me like it was never
published.

 Beth Burleigh <bburleig@pct.edu>

(6)------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:26:44 -0800
From: Jason Ford <jason_ford@eed.state.ak.us>

Hi all!

I would be interested in knowing any information about the January 5, 2006
issue of Nature as well. We are a State Library and claim through EBSCO, and
I have been claiming this particular issue for months. Finally, I contacted
the publisher and they said there was no January 5, 2006 issue, that they
only publish fifty-one weeks out of the year, not fifty-two, and that the
gap allows them to "wrap things up for the year, and meet deadlines..."
etc...

That doesn't explain why there is an issue missing the last week of
December, which coincides with their ACTUAL publication schedule stated in
all their issues. (i.e. "Nature is published weekly on Thursday, except the
last week in December...")

We welcome any explanation with open arms!
:)Jason