Re: Seeking contributors for a new Against the Grain column: "How We Done It Bad" Ian Woodward 26 Jul 2006 12:23 UTC

--and it will feature stories of projects and experiments that went
wrong -- maybe even horribly, tragically wrong.--

We all work in libraries, not on constructions sites or in the military.
The opportunities to contrive procedures that go "horribly, tragically
wrong" are few and far between.  IW

I.  Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries
201L McGregory Hall
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, N.Y. 13346
Ph.:   315-228-7306
Fax:   315-228-7029

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Rick Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:04 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Seeking contributors for a new Against the Grain
column: "How We Done It Bad"

* Please excuse cross-posting *

All of us are familiar with the "How We Done It Good" article, a piece
in which a librarian writes about a project that he or she has recently
completed successfully.  Sometimes the successful projects involve
refinements of old practices and workflows, and sometimes they are
experimental new practices that have proved effective.  In both cases,
the point of the article is to share the good news and the details with
colleagues, who might be inspired to try something similar in their own
institutions.

For a new column, to be published irregularly in _Against the Grain_, I
would like to invite submissions with an opposite orientation: the
column will be called "How We Done It Bad," and it will feature stories
of projects and experiments that went wrong -- maybe even horribly,
tragically wrong.  The point of these articles won't be so much to
provide amusement and/or provoke sympathy, but rather to share lessons
learned.  How can _AtG_'s readers benefit from mistakes that all of us
have made?  Can we save each other some wasted time and embarrassment
(or worse) by sharing our own stories of wasted time and embarrassment?

Please send ideas and proposals to me at the email address below.  I
look forward to hearing from you!

(And yes, if you'd prefer to publish your experience anonymously, that's
a definite possibility.  However, please volunteer only your own stories
-- not those of others who you feel have failed in some way.)

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries