Re: Your comments appreciated, or to class or not to class periodical collection Cynthia Swope 06 Jul 2006 18:08 UTC

I agree with Buddy that it is critical to survey the users.  So many
times library decisions are
made without adequate input from them.

But I also have to add that if I surveyed user preference at my library
on LC or title arrangement,
no one would care.  90% of all our journal usage is electronic.    Is
this because I'm at a medical library
or do other libraries have a similar ratio?

Maybe another factor to consider before reclassification would be the
future of print journals in your
library.

Cindy Swope
Himmelfarb Health Science Library
George Washington University
Washington, DC 20037
mlbcds@gwumc.edu

>>> bmaclenn@UVM.EDU 7/6/2006 1:32 PM >>>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:22:59 -0400
From: "Rouillard, Marilee" <mrouilla@keene.edu>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] Your comments appreciated,
     or to class or not to class periodical collection

I did do a survey before we switched to the classification system.
The
results were exactly even, until someone came in with a survey as I
finished counting them and asked if I could accept it.  I did so it
tipped the survey.  I also surveyed the staff and the literature.
Opinion was very evenly divided.  I now have the periodicals in LC
order
with a large browsing room where the current periodicals are displayed
in alcoves.  Each alcove has a table and 4 chairs.
It was the right call here.

    Marilee Rouillard <mrouilla@keene.edu>