to class or not to class periodical collection SERIALST Moderator 07 Jul 2006 21:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:17:15 -0700
From: Mina Muessigmann <minamues@mail.sdsu.edu>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] to class or not to class periodical collection

It is certainly possible to classify periodicals and shelve them by LC call
number without interfiling them with the monographs. As long as the catalog
(OPAC location) and building signage is clear as to which area is
periodicals and which is books, they can still be as separate as before.

At 07:41 AM 7/6/2006, "Pennington, Buddy D." wrote:
>Integration also spreads things out (all of our separate periodicals are
>on one floor but if we integrated them into the classified monographs
>they would be on three floors).  That means more time wandering around
>for users and serials staff.

Mina Muessigmann
San Diego State University -- Love Library
Serials Cataloging -- LL 115
5500 Campanile Drive,  San Diego,  CA  92182-8050
(619)594-6755  email: minamues@mail.sdsu.edu