Re: Table of Contents--paper to electronic Vernell Ward 11 Jul 2006 22:08 UTC

Hello Mary and all,

Some have asked me to summarize, so I will share what I have heard.

Trina Brown from Urban Institute Library in Washington D. C. offered
something
to think about.

She provides a similar table-of-contents service ... As paper issues
arrive, she scans the table of contents into a pdf file and saves it on
their server. Then she emails the pdf as an attachment to
those researchers who have requested notification. She also keeps a
copy on available on a webpage for them.

The other suggestions were to use electronic services such as
EBSCOhost, which I already use for those titles available
electronically. Since the titles which I am providing the service are
not available through our databases, the electronic service is really
not an option.

I am still limited by the technology that is being offered on our
campus. Our office has a networked all-in-one that will scan and e-mail
from the device, but only one page at a time. I can print and copy
multi-pages to my hearts desire, just not scan. We have the same
limitations in faxing, unless we have loose pages that will go through a
feeder.

Also, since I do not have access to the web server, posting files to
the server won't work for me either. So, I am back to square one.

I have been thinking about a re-requesting a dedicated scanner, and
then either using a pdf or word file with images inserted as an e-mail
attachment. If there is some software that will do the trick, I would
love to know about it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vernell Ward
Library Serials
OBU Box 61309
500 W. University
Shawnee, OK 74804
405-878-2255

>>> mary.williams@MINOTSTATEU.EDU 07/11/06 12:19 PM >>>

Hi,

I don't have any advice for you, but I did want to thank you for the
idea.
We're working on getting this up and running before fall semester.  Do
you
mind telling me what software you're using and anything else you think
germane?

Maybe together we can figure this out.

Many thanks,

Mary