Re: Taylor & Francis printing snafu Jenny Lockwood 12 Jul 2006 17:40 UTC

There is a schedule of issues printed less frequently in 2006 at
http://www.tandf.co.uk/libsite/biblio.asp.  Perhaps that will help
somewhat.  It shows which issues are being combined in the print format for
each title.
Sincerely
Jenny
  09:38 AM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
>Hello other SERIALSTs,
>
>I've come up against a publisher printing change that has really messed
>up my check-in and claiming of journal issues.  I'd like to see what
>others on the list are doing in reaction to this change.
>
>Taylor & Francis (BTW, previously one of my favorite publishers) has
>really thrown a wrench into my work.  I guess to save printing costs,
>they have begun printing several distinct journal issues in a "combined"
>print issue.  This is not truly a combined issue because the enumeration
>on their website for the online content is specifically broken up so
>that most issues remain as single no. for the issue, and T & F actually
>has a notation on the print cover saying that the issue contains several
>nos.  See the examples below.
>
>The other aspect of this screwy printing is that when a researcher looks
>for a current issue and can't find it, they often come to me or the
>reference staff to find out when the issue is expected.  Obviously, I
>now can't tell them the correct issue information.  This frustrates the
>patron, the reference staff and me.
>
>Two examples:
>
>Example 1
>
>Inhalation Toxicology
>Print ISSN: 0895-8378
>Online ISSN: 1091-7691
>Frequency: 14 issues per year
>(frequency taken from their website)
>
> From the online edition:
>
>Volume 18
>    Number 10 / September 2006
>    Number 8 / July 2006
>    Number 7 / June 2006
>    Number 6 / May 15 2006
>    Number 5 / May 1 2006
>    Number 4 / April 2006
>    Number 3 / March 2006
>    Number 2 / February 2006
>    Number 1 / January 2006
>
> From the print issues:
>
>Volume 18
>    Number 7-10 / 2006
>   (no issue date but says on the cover "Included in this print edition:
>Number 7 (June), Number 8 (July), Number 9 (August), Number 10
>(September)")
>    Number 3-6 / 2006
>    (no issue date but says on the cover "Included in this print edition:
>Number 3 (February 1), Number 4 (February 15), Number 5 (March 1),
>Number 6 (April 1)")
>    Number 1-2 / 2006
>    (no issue date but says on the cover "Included in this print edition:
>Number 1 (January 1), Number 2 (January 15)")
>
>Example 2
>
>Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A
>Print ISSN: 1528-7394
>Online ISSN: 1087-2620
>Frequency: 24 issues per year
>
> From the online edition:
>
>Volume 69
>    Number 15 / August 1 2006
>    Number 14 / July 15 2006
>    Number 13 / July 1 2006
>    Number 12 / June 15 2006
>    Number 11 / June 1 2006
>    Number 10 / May 15 2006
>    Number 9 / May 1 2006
> [...]

Jenny Lockwood
New Mexico State University Library
Acquisitions Unit-Serials/Electronic Resources
PO Box 30006
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003
505 646-3104 Fax 505 646-7477