Taylor & Francis, Haworth, and pages per volume STEVE BLACK@FACULTY@ACADEMICAFFAIRS 13 Jul 2006 14:39 UTC

Mr. Cohen, Publisher, Haworth Press, wrote:

>  If the anticipated # of print pages, over an extended period of time,
>is more than you had been receiving, you may be gaining an advantage.
>  If the anticipated # of print pages, over an extended period of time,
>is problematic--then you may want to consider an internal re-assessment
>depending on your collection management policies.

 Haworth Press's way of strictly defining issues and volumes by the
number of pages produced is idiosyncratic, and has long caused serials
librarians headaches. I for one would be loathe to see Taylor & Francis
(or any other publisher) emulate Haworth's tendency to creatively
combine issues and volumes. Issues that deviate from the journal's
stated enumeration and chronology create major headaches for librarians
and cause confusion for our patrons.

Steve Black
Reference, Serials, and Instruction Librarian
The College of Saint Rose
392 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203-1419
blacks@strose.edu